Monterrey gunfire shuts U.S. consulate
The official US spokes-monkey says: "“No one should believe they can attack a United States government facility with impunity.” Ha, ha, ha. Sure, the banditos are quaking in their boots I am sure.
Monterrey gunfire shuts U.S. consulate.Monterrey gunfire shuts U.S. consulate
Recommend 0 Sean Mattson - Express-News MONTERREY, Mexico — The U.S. Consulate General in Monterrey suspended visa service Thursday as combat-ready police surrounded the building after reports of nearby gunfire.
The midday mobilization came just four days after two assailants attacked the consulate with at least six .45-caliber gunshots and a hand grenade that did not detonate.
“I have made the decision to suspend visa services to the public for the rest of the day today while we assess the security situation,” Tony Garza, U.S. ambassador to Mexico, said in a statement Thursday.
The shooting came less than 24 hours after Garza visited the consulate to investigate Sunday's attack.
It was unclear how close Thursday's shots were to the consulate, which is one of the United States' busiest visa issuers.
By late Thursday, authorities had made no arrests in Sunday's attack, nor had they cited a motive or shared leads in the investigation.
One high-ranking Nuevo León state official said he doubted Sunday's attack was carried out by organized crime.
“If it had been organized crime, I think they would have set off the (grenade) and shot with a different type of weapon,” said Aldo Fasci, the state's public security minister.
Garza, after his Wednesday visit to Monterrey, said authorities would find those responsible for the attack.
“They will find that it was a mistake to target a United States consulate,” he said in a statement. “No one should believe they can attack a United States government facility with impunity.”